AMMA’S SUJI KI KHEER (SEMOLINA PUDDING)
Gallerist, furniture designer and avid cook Omer Nabi share’s his mom’s recipe for suji ki kheer, and it’s just what you need to make your Eid a little special.
- 2 Level Tablespoons desi ghee (or butter)
- 4 Level Tablespoons Suji (Semolina powder)
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 4 Level measured tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 level teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt or 1/3 teaspoon regular salt
- 6 to 7 green cardamoms, seeds only
- 15 almonds, soaked in hot water for 15 mins. Then remove skins, dry roast for 2 minutes and cut in thin long slivers
- Put the ghee and green cardamom seeds in a pan and turn on full heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add the Suji (semolina powder) and cook on high heat for around 4 minutes till the semolina turns light golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. There is a small window after the semolina turns golden and before it burns so be cautious.
- Add milk and cook on high heat for around 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, till the milk begins to boil out of the pan.
- Now immediately reduce heat to a low simmer. Add the sugar and salt and let cook for around 12 to 14 minutes till the kheer thickens slightly and you see small bubbles rising across the top of the pudding, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Let cool for around 30 minutes. Once the skin forms on the surface of the kheer (pudding), garnish with almond slivers. Transfer to the fridge and chill before serving.
There you go. Your Eid day’s special. It is absolutely delicious.